Thursday 29 November 2018

The Gift Giving Dilemma

I'm an introvert.

If I sound like I'm a go-getter on here, I'm sorry that I have misled you. I'm far from it. My perfect day is spent at home, with T and our dogs with limited contact with the outside world. If I have to go out, I prefer it to be the first thing to get it over and done with. It's why T loving to go shopping for groceries at 5pm on a Sunday is slightly annoying to my introverted self. T is also introverted. Our lack of wanting to be around people is what ties us together.

Christmas is a whole different story, however.

Christmas is my favourite time of the year. As a child, we would spend it at one of my grandparents and on Christmas Eve my Aunt would take me, my brothers and cousin on a Christmas light tour. We'd then go back to my Nana's, eat and watch Carol's by Candlelight (which is the closest thing to Church you will ever see me at on Christmas Eve). The next day would be filled with gifts, food and family. All the things that I like!

It's the pre-Christmas stuff that always gets me. The present buying mainly.

Daphne and Arlo with their Christmas present's last year. 

You would think that after twenty-eight years on this earth I would know just how this whole gift-giving thing goes down.

And I'm here to tell you that I do not.

Each year, since I moved out of my parent's house, I have always strived to ensure that I was not going to be out shopping for presents the weekend before Christmas. I've only succeeded once and that was because I needed to get it out of the way before T arrived to stay with me so he didn't find his present. I like to shop. I hate shopping at Christmas. Too many people.

We're now a month out and I can tell you that I've done a quarter of the shopping that I need to get done. Arlo and Daphne are done. Last year we were still building up their toy's so they got mainly toys and a few treats. This year it's mainly treats with a new toy each - I give Daphne 10 minutes before she destroys hers.

Out of four nephews, three are done. Out of four nieces, none are done (although I have ideas for two of them). The adults we're buying for are easy. We just need to get to the newsagents and get our hands on some lottery packs and add the compulsory 10% of earnings note inside *wink wink*.

On top of all of them I've got eight - yes eight - nanny kids that I usually give something to. This year I'm thinking Ninjabread men. I just need to find the cutters to make them.

Even with all that planning, the one who is giving me the biggest trouble is T.

T is like me in many ways as if there is something we want, we will just go and buy it or save for it. There is no need to wait until our birthdays or Christmas in order to get it. It makes buying stuff for him a lot harder. He on the other hand apparently already knows what he is going to get me and he knows that by telling me this he is leading me to stew on it and try to remember if I hinted at anything recently.

I know it's totally first world problems but god damn it I wish I knew what to get him.

Until next time







(aka - Sophie)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...