Tuesday 4 December 2018

Christmas Decorating Story Time

I've known since I first got together with T that he didn't like Christmas.

What I mean by that is that he has never liked the decorating side of Christmas. He enjoys getting together with family and all of that, he just doesn't like the decorating side of things. I, on the other hand, enjoy decorating a Christmas tree, so we're totally a match made in heaven.

Even though T doesn't like decorating, he handles the fact that I do by teasing me and this year was no different, only decorating this year didn't get off to a great start.


On Friday I asked T if he could get the stuff down so I could decorate while he was working. He totally forgot to do it so I had to get up on the ladder and I have no concept of balance. I'm at the point now that no one is surprised when I hurt myself.

After getting everything down I brought it in and discovered that the very pretty fairy lights I bought last year were a tangled mess. And I do mean a mess. See these were those ones that weren't covered in plastic. Those pretty, dainty ones, where the wire was out and they were tiny and look delicate and they have to be wrapped up properly otherwise they become a tangled mess, and when T packed everything away he didn't wrap them up properly.

I was annoyed, really annoyed by that. T is what I jokingly call borderline OCD. He likes things a particular way, so him not packing the lights away properly annoyed me.


After fighting with them for an hour and telling T our new rule is that he isn't allowed to touch the Christmas Tree to pack it away, even if that means he has to wait until February for it to disappear, I went out to buy new pretty light and had to settle for stars. All of the lights I wanted were gone.

Frustrated I went to run a couple of errands and came back a lot calmer - which was good because T had arrived back home. The Christmas Tree then went up and life continued on.

Only in my decorating, I forgot to factor in two other household members - well, actually one household member. Arlo didn't want a bar of the Christmas Tree and we had to coax him past it for 24 hours in order to go outside because the room where the Christmas Tree is is also the way out to our backyard.


Daphne, on the other hand, took to the tree very well. A little too well. By the end of the day she had secretly squirreled away two ornaments and destroyed them. This then lead to a late night, small argument between T and I in which I got frustrated with him because instead of barricading the tree he decided that the only way to stop Daphne from getting the ornaments was to hide the tree in my office. I love him but he didn't need to hide the tree.

The next day I brought it back out, created my barricade and there have been no more ornament deaths in 24 hours. So things did not go as planned but I did get the tree up and T is thankfully dealing with my use of our dining chairs.


Until next time,







(aka - Sophie)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like our house... D wanted the tree in the spare room with the door closed.. wasn't going to happen. I bought a table for $20 off buy swap and sell and our tree is sitting on that. Freckle hasnt even noticed (touch wood!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish Daphne hadn't noticed. That late night "discussion" could have been avoided otherwise ;) She now just looks at me with very sad eyes because she can't get near the tree now :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...