Thursday 14 February 2019

We're Not Doing Valentines Day This Year

It's Valentines Day. The day to celebrate love in all its forms and as I sit scrolling through Facebook, listening at T cooks dinner I don't feel upset at all that I didn't get flowers or anything like that.

Why?


And by I, I mean we. We are not doing Valentine's day.

As Valentine's day came closer and closer, I tried to think of what to get T and I couldn't think of anything. You see, T and I go out and buy things we want when we want them or after we've saved for them. We don't wait for a certain time of the year to give each other gifts. Often one of us will go out and come back with a milkshake or something for the other.

Last night, we were lying in bed with the dogs, crunch time was hanging over my head and I looked over at T and asked him if he wanted to do Valentine's day. He replied by asking if I wanted to do it and honestly I didn't.

When it comes to Romance, my idea of a great date is staying home, ordering takeout and watching the latest episode of Great British Bakeoff, while Arlo and Daphne sit with us. I don't like the fuss and the rizz of going somewhere fancy and spending a lot of money on food. It just doesn't do it for me.

I like simple. I like easy. I like being able to throw my hair up into a messy bun, slip on my jammies and just relax for the evening. I can't do that if we're going out for dinner. Plus, T hates having to dress up in a suit, so staying in was a better option.

That's not to say that we haven't done Valentines Day in the past. T surprised me the first Valentines day after we got together by sending me red roses and he did the same the following year before changing things up and getting me an eternity rose for my birthday/valentines day gift. As for me, I just sent him chocolates and biscuits. Last year he bought tickets for a wizards dinner for my birthday/valentines day and I got him something punny.



This year it's nice just to be able to do our own thing without having to worry about presents. It's nice just sitting here, getting Great British Bakeoff ready while T serves up dinner. It's just nice.

I've got to wrap this up because I can hear T grabbing knives and forks out of the draw but I didn't want to write this to make it seem as if I'm anti-Valentines day. I'm not. I love Valentine's day because I personally see it as a day that you can celebrate any kind of love.

I'm writing this to explain that even though I am looking at Facebook and seeing my sister-in-law's and friends all showing off their gifts, I am in no way jealous of them. I'm not at all upset that I'm not getting something physical because T and I are celebrating love in our own way. Everyone has their own way of showing that they love each other. For some, it's flowers and chocolates. For me and T, it's spending time together and wishing we were the taste testers on the Great British Bakeoff.

Until next time,







(aka - Sophie)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...