Sunday 16 December 2018

REVIEW | Dumplin'

Since Dumplin' came out, I have been hearing many things from my friends about it. I had seen the trailer, but I wasn't 100% sure that I wanted to watch it. We've had a few similar movies come out this year, like Insatiable, revolving around a larger main character and many people had put them down because they went from fat to skinny instead of promoting body confidence. I thought that Dumplin' was going to be the same.

Yesterday, I took the dive while I waited for my gingerbread cookies to finish drying and I am so glad that I was proved wrong.


Willowdean, a plus-sized teenager, lives in Texas with her former beauty queen mother, Rosie, and is grieving the loss of her beloved Aunt Lucy. Pageant season is starting once again and Will has finally had enough and decided that she wants to teach her mother a lesson, so she signs up in protest. This then starts a catalyst of other girls joining, who don't fit the traditional pageant look.

The movie is based off the book by the same name and it's now in my to-be-read pile for the new year, so I'm not entirely sure how close the two are. However, even without reading the book, I really loved this movie.

Unlike Insatiable which focused on weight loss, this movie took a plus-sized girl and placed her in a beauty pageant allowing for the traditional look of a pageant girl to change. While there is still a lot of revenge involved in this movie, Will also learns a lot about herself and her mother which brings on a whole different kind of transformation.

There is also a lot of other things that happen in the movie that show Will grow as a character and learn more about herself which I love so dearly. It's also so amazing to see Drag Queens dressed as Dolly Parton and singing her songs, which are used throughout the movie.

Overall I really loved this movie. I loved Jennifer Anniston as Will's Mum, I thought she did an amazing job. I'm loving her in these older roles right now. The Drag Queens steal the show however!

I think this is an amazing movie. Netflix is really knocking it out of the park lately with their Original movies and I'm all for it. This is a perfect movie for teens and pre-teens maybe even a little younger with an adult present.

Until next time,







(aka - Sophie)

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...